What observations can you make about this artifact?
What inferences can you make based on these clues?
Today we’re going to read an article from the New York Times about a woman who makes a great discovery about history through an artifact…. a cook book!
Essential Question: What can we learn about geography and culture from Malinda Russell’s cookbook?
- Read aloud entire text to class
- Revisit paragraphs 1-3 - Group generates “gists”
- Underline instances of “geography” or “culture.”
- Next, in partners, students read and write gists for paragraph 4 > stop, share, discuss
- Students continue throughout reading.
- Exit Ticket:
- Claim: "Malinda Russell’s cookbook is an artifact that provides significant information about geography and culture."
- Use 3 supporting ideas, pulled from the text, to support this claim.